Yesterday, I finished the last of four consecutive exams, came home and promptly threw my guts up. Was it school, or the questionable guacamole that I ate yesterday? I think the answer is obviously school.
The worst part is, I still have another exam looming in the near future! C’mon university, be cool man. I’m tired of having books and papers scattered around my kitchen, pretending as if they’re being used at all.
The unfortunate thing is that I’m already in summertime mode. Last week, I quit something that for the past year had been my biggest commitment, and for the past three months my biggest emotional burden. Letting that commitment go was like a breath of fresh air, and I have such a sense of lightness and freedom now. It’s like this completely appropriate quote that I just found on Pinterest says:
|Alternately this. (Source)|
Since my head is in full summer mode, the only thing I can really think of is what I want to do this summer. So, in a last ditch procrastination effort, I’m going to write that list here. If you feel like adding to my list in the comments, go for it! I want all kinds of awesome plans.
- First and foremost, anyone who read my last post knows I’m going on a Mediterranean cruise at the end of June. My excitement doubled last night when my partner in crimebest friend booked her spot after weeks of worrying herself into a hole of anxiety. Now I have someone to drink cheap wine with and see all the sights with. At least someone who isn’t under 20 or over 50. I love my family, but it’ll be nice to have someone else in my general age bracket.
- With a super awesome trip like that comes weeks of planning for it. Marking routes from attraction to attraction, estimating line up waits, scoping out restaurants with the best food (and cheapest wine) and even just making ridiculously detailed packing lists that will surely fail us in the end.
- Play music on my back porch with my friends and some alcohol. As I mentioned earlier, I recently cut ties with a commitment that was sucking the life out of me, and it’ll be nice to fall in love with music again.
- Drive in the sunshine while blasting the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack. Or any Hans Zimmer action score, really. That guy is awesome.
- Go camping. I haven’t been camping in at least 7 years, and I miss it. My family used to have a pop-up canvas trailer and I loved that little thing. My extended family would all gather in our favourite parks, taking up at least a half dozen spots, and every night we’d get together in one site, sit around the fire, armed with hot dogs, marshmallows and guitars. Even if I just pick up a small tent and only go once with Liam, I want to smell like campfire again.
- I want to explore. This city is God damn gorgeous. I was going to post a picture but I can’t decide on just one. So instead I want you to go to this page and marvel at how beautiful my home is. I want to walk the trails and watch whales like I’ve never seen them, go to new places and fall in love with them.
- At the same time, I want to reach a point where I get sick of this city and need to escape for a day. (Like this.) Since I’ll have my passport renewed this summer, Liam and I decided that our getaway spot will be France; more specifically St. Pierre et Miquelon. You’re probably thinking “Run away to France? That’s crazy and you should probably be slapped or something.” Well, you’re wrong. Because this particular part of France happens to be right next to Newfoundland.
|Bam! Right there. (Source)|
- I want to grow a vegetable garden. One of the things that I pride myself on is my pasta sauce, a recipe taught to me by my 85 year-old Italian grandfather. It’s an ultimate dream of mine to make my sauce with tomatoes I grow myself, just like Nonno does. I also want peas and stuff.
- I am most certainly going to spend a night stargazing in Liam’s big backyard. Nighttime picnic? I think so. Especially when August’s annual meteor shower, the Perseids, happens.
- Knit and crochet forever.
I should probably get back at aimlessly flipping the pages of Greek plays again. What are you guys doing this summer? Anything on my list you like? Anything to add? Let’s get the summer excitement ball rolling!